There are a lot of things I want to say about what went down with all the recent high profile relationship disasters. Just to recap in the recent months we’ve seen the following go down:
- Jon & Kate begin the Divorce process
- South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford caught in a relationship with a woman from Argentina
- Chris Brown & Rhianna have domestic problems
- Billy Joel filed for Divorce
- Usher filed for Divorce
- Mel Gibson filed for divorce
- and many many more….
Out of all this it’s not a surprise to see the divorce rate in America climbing. As a divorced man I have a lot of emotions, feelings and of course opinions about a lot of those people listed above. I also have my fair share of thoughts for those non celebrity divorces occurring without the headlines and media presence.
I could talk about how the bible hates divorce. How marriage is a covenant not a contract. How people are so quick to throw out the “D” word when things start to go badly.
But I’m not going to, at least not yet.
No I think as a Christian we tend to jump to quickly and “attack” these types of incidents. We point the fingers and say how they should have done this, or not done that, or if they just got into church everything could have been avoided.
There is some wisdom in these soap box speeches but there is a lot more opinion mixed in as well.
Now before you go getting your underwear in a knot or decide to reach for that comment link please let me put some of my opinions out there. Remember these are MY opinions and are only here to set the tone of future posts in this series and to give you an idea of where I’m coming from.
- I think divorce is wrong and I am divorced.
- I think EVERY marriage can be saved, yes even my marriage could have been saved.
- I think there are MANY symptoms for a failed marriage but believe there is only ONE real reason.
- I believe that no one is the sole responsible party for a failed marriage. It takes two to make a marriage work and two to make it fail.
So where am I going with all this? What’s the point? It’s time we, you and me and everyone else who reads this blog, to talk relationships. It’s time that I put a little wisdom on you, which I have learned from my past.
I don’t have all the answers in fact I don’t have any real answers. I just have information which has been spoken or poured into me which I am going to share with all of you.
There is no magic formula on how to have a successful relationship but I believe there are some certain truths, which every successful relationship will have.
So let’s do this. Let’s get real about relationships. Let’s put it all out there and finally attack something we all desire but always seem to fail at. We’ll talk about intentions, accountability, communication, sex, fights, good times and bad times, family and so much more.
So who’s with me?